Sunday, May 8, 2016

In Loving Memory...

My Nana died at the end of March, and her funeral was April 20th. I couldn't attend because I live on the other side of the world from that part of my family. And even though I couldn't be there in person a lot with her, she has had more of a hand in shaping me than I think even she knew. 

My Nana was an artist. She loved sketching and painting and practicing and coloring and everything else about creating art for others. Her favorite seemed to be watercolors of buildings and structures that she would see when she was out and about. I remember she used to bring a sketchbook, and even a travel size watercolor set, with her whenever we would be on holiday somewhere. I don't quite tote my art supplies down to the ocean's shore like she did, but I do pack them with me whenever I travel, just in case there may be time to do some art. That's on you Nana :)

One of my fondest memories of my Nana was when I was in high school and we had visited England in October (don't know why I remember the month...), but I had to bring some school work with me, and one of my projects was to paint a still life of some red chile peppers. My Nana drove us out to her art club that she attended with all these real, fancy-pants artists. And she showed off my painting as if it was up to scratch - she was so proud of my ugly little acrylic attempt (painting is not my favorite...) and I remember feeling like I could do anything I wanted after that. That's on you Nana :)

I have every paint set, every sketchbook, every drawing, and hand-made card that she's ever sent me. It's hard to feel close to someone when you live so far away, but she made sure to nurture that connection between us and I won't forget those feelings and memories. I try to draw and use art in my classroom, and at home whenever I can. I also try to hand-make every card I can fit in, and have something that I've created on the cards I send out to show people I love them. That's on you Nana :)

So, on April 20th I had an art memorial in my Nana's memory. I didn't end up doing watercolors, or drawing buildings, or even doing a portrait of her...which were my initial intentions. Instead I drew this picture of my favorite animal. And I just remembered my Nana as the woman who taught me how to see the world through the eyes of an artist, and who inspired me to always make time for my drawings. There's nothing quite like it...And it's partly because of you Nana, that I'm up until 1AM most nights trying to just finish one more thing and get some of my pieces done with my crazy boys who don't ever nap. I love you, and pray that I will get to draw again with you in Heaven one day. 


In loving memory of Carolyn Gill.

2 comments:

  1. Wow great post.. that drawing is amazing, the colors and design of the spots is so vibrant. Miss her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my mum, but her kind, gentle and loving spirit lives on in you Beth - I am so proud of you xo

    ReplyDelete